CELPIP Writing Topics
The CELPIP writing section is completed on a computer. You will be asked to write two essays.
The first CELPIP writing task is an email. On this page you’ll find some CELPIP Writing Topics to practice on.
The second CELPIP writing task requires you to express your opinion about something. There are topics for that here too.
CELPIP Writing – Email
The email may be formal, semi-formal or informal.
The question tells you exactly what to write about. You must write something about each specific point. If you only write about 2 out of 3 points, your maximum score will be 66%!
Use the titles below to practice writing an email.
When your email is finished, send it to me. I will tell you what to improve before your test.
“…every class is so interesting…”
CELPIP Writing – Opinion
The second CELPIP Writing topic is an essay expressing your opinion about something. This essay often takes the form of a survey response.
Your essay must have a clear structure and a variety of sentence structures. You must include:
* An introduction that puts the reader in the head space.
* An overview that identifies your main points.
* A paragraph for each of your main points.
* A conclusion.
Use the CELPIP writing topics below to practice expressing your opinion.
When your letter is finished, send it to me. I will tell you what to improve before your test.
Get ready to write
When you take your CELPIP test, your examiner will check your tenses for accuracy.
Our One-a-Day series of workbooks will help you review and practice your tenses to develop that accuracy and improve your vocabulary.
CELPIP Writing Topics – Email
1. A member of your family is thinking about going to university.
Write an email to your family member explaining why some people go to university, why some prefer universities far from home, and which courses you think would be interesting and/or useful.
2. A family member recently had a baby and is overwhelmed by parenting.
Write an email encouraging the young couple in their new parental role, explaining why you think that parents are the best teachers, and offering support (suggestions for organizations they could turn to, financial, babysitting, etc.)
3. You are an international student studying English at a private language school. Your courses were expensive and you are disappointed with the quality of instruction, materials, and the time keeping of the other students.
Write an email to the School Principal complaining about the situation and suggesting how you would like the issue to be resolved.
4. You recently stayed in a hotel where the service was slow and the room was dirty.
Write an email to the hotel manager complaining about the accommodation and suggesting how the issue might be resolved.
5. You have registered for a six-month computer training program at Sambro Community College. You want to rent a room from the Sambro Housing Agency.
Write an email telling them when you need the room, the type of room you would prefer, and the reason for your request.
CELPIP Writing Topics – Opinion
1. A company has announced that it wishes to build a large factory near your community.
Do you support or oppose the factory? Explain your position.
2. You are a volunteer at the local community theater group. You have been asked whether the group should spend its money on costumes or on storage.
3. Your company is considering whether or not to sponsor a float in the upcoming community parade. Your superiors have asked whether you support or oppose the investment.
4. You work in a very big office. There is a popular and cheap restaurant in the building. The boss is thinking of removing the restaurant and replacing it with a childcare facility and has asked whether you would prefer:
Option A: Replace the restaurant with a childcare facility
Option B: Keep the restaurant and let parents make childcare arrangements offsite.
5. The company you work for would like to ask employees to work on Saturdays for the next two months in order to catch up on its backlog. It has circulated a survey asking your opinion about two possible options.
Option A: Half the staff would work for four hours every Saturday.
Option B: All the staff would work for two hours every Saturday.
Submit your essay for Correction
When you are happy with your essay, paste it into the comments box below for free scoring. For a more extensive evaluation and feedback, please use our writing correction service – ($20/essay)
Take a few writing classes with a tutor and feel more confident about your writing.
Your CELPIP writing tutor can work with you on Skype or Zoom.
Call/text Angela 613-614-6460 for more information.